Sunday, July 1, 2007

Come Down from the Ledge - Dinner Party Advice


A woman that I know was talking to me about how she has never had people over for dinner. She said that she had always wanted to but was afraid of failing. I asked her how she could fail when you have friends over? She said that she was afraid of not serving the right food and not setting things up correctly. She said that she always felt at ease with my get together's and that I always had things in control. I laughed and said you don't see how I am before the party. So I thought I would try to simplify for people how to throw a good dinner party.

1. Planning. From the moment I decide to have people over, I have a theme. What I mean by that is the food is the theme. Whether it's Italian, Greek, Mexican, etc, choose it and stick with it. From appetizer to dessert, it should all be consistent. I also like to look for recipes that are a little obscure. Who wants the same food all the time. Make it interesting, but also make it easy for you. I love "googling" the theme that I want and looking at recipes and deciding what I want to use. Just in case, this sounds too intimidating, you can always do take out and then put them in nice dishes. I've also done that. Quite honestly, I don't think people really care as long as 1) they don't have to cook and 2) they feel relaxed.

2. Inviting the Right Mix of People - I know it sounds strange, but I have a diverse mix of people I know. Although I usually like a lively conversation, sometimes views can differ drastically and some people are very vocal about their views. In that case, it just makes people feel uncomfortable.

3. Send an invitation - The invitation is the first glimpse of what kind of party it will be. It's very important to set to tone early. Decide if you want something casual or formal. Your guests will pick that up from the invitation you send them. Look at the examples that I sell to see what I'm talking about.

4. Preparation - Make sure that you prepare as much as you can before hand. I usually set the table the night before just so I can get it just right. I love an interesting table. I don't mean you have to spend a lot to decorate your table. I've been known to sprinkle jellybeans around the table for Easter or fake spiders for my Pumpkin Carving Parties. Cook what you can and spend the time you have to finish cooking talking to your guest. Everyone loves to be in the kitchen so take advantage of it and have drinks in there.

What I always remind people, these are your friends. Hopefully they are not there to judge you, but to enjoy your company. So relax!


If you have any questions, let me know.

Elizabeth






2 comments:

Heart of Roses said...

Hello. Im new here and was looking through the group area when I found your blog. I love your invitations. They are so creative!

Invite the Party said...

Thank you so much, invitations are really my passion. I try to update my website www.invitetheparty.com with new invitations, notecards, etc. all the time. Hope you get to check it out.