Saturday, September 1, 2007

My Jack-o-Lantern is better than your Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Carving Party




In my last entry I talked about Halloween Parties. What I haven’t talked about is Pumpkin Carving Parties.

I have a great neighborhood. Years ago, we started doing parties to make the kids holiday more fun. It has, of course, now turned into an adult competition. Since this is my blog, I’ll tell you mine is always the best. We all chose a holiday (yes, Julia you still have to do Easter, even if it means blowing out thousands of eggs) and I picked, surprise, surprise, Halloween. About a week before Halloween I have my Pumpkin Carving Party. I supply all the tools and patterns. Just an FYI, every year after Halloween, I buy all the pattern kits at 75% to 90% off. I now, after all these years, have quite a few (to say the least).

I send my invitation out a few weeks before the party.


My guests know to bring their own pumpkins to carve. I set up a large table (or two) and spread out everything they need. I’ve also learned that you need a couple of garbage can to get all the pumpkin inners. We don’t, but you could, take all the seeds and roast them. For younger children, I usually put out paint, brushes and smocks. That way they can decorate their own pumpkins.

Because this is a very casual party, I have my guest either bring appetizers or dessert. That way all I have to worry about is the entrée. I always make stew. I feel like stew symbolizes the start of Fall. Each year I search the internet for new and interesting kinds of stew. I have never served the same stew twice. I make sure I decorate the table that we eat on in a Halloween theme. Since I am a dish-aholic, I have a set just for this occasion (well two but we can discuss my dish addiction at another time).

After dinner we light the pumpkins on my porch and admire our work.


Try this party and you too will suddenly find yourself doing this fun holiday party year after year.

Elizabeth

3 comments:

Mississippi Songbird said...

just love your site. Giving me ideas for the Fall.. Thanks

Invite the Party said...

Thanks!!!

DubLiMan said...

Very cool carvings. I remember when my kids were young........what a mess!