Saturday, June 23, 2007

How to Plan a Pre-Teen/Teen Birthday Party

I thought I would pass on how to throw a party for a teen. I just completed a 12th birthday party for my daughter. She decided at she wanted 35 of her closest friends, including some boys. While some might think me insane (including my husband) I am now a hero in my daughters eyes. I had the party start at 6:00 p.m. and end at 10:00 p.m. This make 12 year old feel a little older. They were having such a good time, that they were all calling their parents and asking to be picked up later.

So here are some things I learned while throwing this party.

1. Think simple food. My daughter wanted finger foods (mozzarella sticks, pizza bagels, pigs in a blanket). They were a lot of work. No sooner had I brought one platter out, I was refilling it again. That's fine if you have help doing it. This party consisted of my husband and I. I should add that the kids LOVED the food. As a matter of fact, they wanted to know how I made the mozzarella sticks because they were so delicious. When I do this again, I would either get someone else to help (just cooking the finger food) or I would order pizza.

2. We had water balloons and water guns. What a huge hit. I made sure I informed people in the invitation that we would be having this so they could bring a change of clothes.

3. Outdoor Fireplace. I started that after the water balloon fight. They were able to warm up. They thought this was great. I then had s'mores they could make. As always, a huge hit.

4. We had karaoke. Although not everyone loves it, a large percentage does.

5. Dance, Dance, Revolution. I borrowed it from a friend. The kids love it.

6. We also have a trampoline and swing set. The kids kept themselves busy using both of these.

7. As far as decorations and paper products go, I just went with color. So the theme is color. Remember that all parties need a theme. No matter how large or small, there has got to be a theme. It makes planning easier.

The thing I learned about this party is that I didn't need to plan anything. What I mean by that is that I didn't need any planned games. They just did what they do best, Hang Out.

Hope this helps. If you have any question, just ask.
www.invitetheparty.com

No comments: